Name of public health intervention:
Gender Mainstreaming in Priority Health Programs: The Case of the Diabetes Mellitus Prevention and Control Program in Mexico
Entity that is presenting it:
- Institution/Organization name: Ministry of Health, National Center for Gender Equity and Reproductive Health of Mexico
- Address: Calle: Homero 213, Col. Chapultepec Morales Delegación Miguel Hidalgo C.P. 11570 México, D.F
- Phone: (55) 52639100 Ext. 59201
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.generoysaludreproductiva.salud.gob.mx/
Type of Organization: Governmental
- Participating National Institutions, Organizations and/or Subregional Entities:
The National Center for Epidemiological Surveillance and Diseases Control (CENAVECE)
- Participating International and Multilateral Organizations:
Disease Prevention and Control
Diabetes, Gender, Genero
Geographic scope of the intervention?
Where is the intervention being implemented?
Is there a target population or beneficiary? Yes
When did the intervention begin?
Is it still functioning? Yes
In Mexico, diabetes mellitus (DM) has become the disease generating the highest demand for care, as well as the largest number of deaths among women, in addition to being the leading cause of death among women since 2000 and men since 2004 For those living with diabetes, the disease causes blindness, renal and neural damage, and cardiovascular disease. This experience began in 2005 with the objective of documenting the existence of gender inequalities associated to diabetes mortality in Mexico; implementing gender mainstreaming in the Diabetes Prevention and Care Program, specifically the disease prevention and health promotion component; producing printed and audiovisual materials supporting health self-care designed with a gender perspective; and disseminating and promoting health self-care measures with a gender perspective through physical activity to prevent and fight excess weight and obesity.
Additional Material:Links and Additional Resources:
- Link to full description of the practice (in English):
- National Center for Gender Equity and Reproductive Health/Centro - Mexico:
- Related Case Story: Diabetes and Gender: Lessons Learned in Mexico and Tailored to Trinidad and Tobago
Contact Information:Name of Contact Person:
Dr. Patricia Uribe Zúñiga - Director
National Center for Gender Equity and Reproductive Health
National Center for Gender Equity and Reproductive Health, Under-Secretariat of Health Promotion and Prevention, Secretariat of Health. DG Homero No. 2137° Piso, Col. Chapultepec Morales, Deleg. Miguel Hidalgo, Mexico, D.F. C.P. 11570, Phone: 55-5263-9128, ext 3028