Name of public health intervention:
Program H and Program M: Engaging young men and empowering young women to promote gender equity and health
Entity that is presenting it:
- Institution/Organization name: Promundo of Brazil
- Address: Rua México 31, Bloco D, Sala 1502 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil, 20031-904
- Phone: [+55] (21) 2544-3114
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.promundo.org.br/en/
Type of Organization:
- Participating National Institutions, Organizations and/or Subregional Entities:
ECOS – Comunicação em Sexualidade, Instituto PAPAI, Salud y Género AC,
- Participating International and Multilateral Organizations:
Family/Community Health and Health Promotion
Rights, gender equity, sexual and reproductive health
Geographic scope of the intervention?
Where is the intervention being implemented?
Is there a target population or beneficiary? No
When did the intervention begin?
Is it still functioning? No
Program H and Program M were developed to engage youth in critical reflections on gender and help them build skills to act in more empowered and equitable ways. The complementary interventions use educational workshops, community outreach strategies and a multi-media campaign to empower young women to feel a sense of agency and control over their lives and to sensitize young men to some of the harmful ways they are socialized and introduce ways to take on more gender-equitable attitudes and behaviors.
Program H and Program M have been carried out in diverse contexts in Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as in Asia, sub-Saharan Africa and the Balkans. Beneficiaries have included youth living in urban centers and youth living in rural areas, in-school and out-of-school youth, single youth and married youth, and youth of various sexual orientations. The experience proves to be a best practice by using the information and communication technologies to change the attitudes of men, women and health care providers, in order to improve their health.
Additional Material:Links and Additional Resources:
- Link to full description of the good practice (in English):
- To learn more about Promundo's activities:
- ECOS – Comunicação em Sexualidade:
- Instituto PAPAI:
- Salud y Género AC:
- World Education:
Contact Information:Name of Contact Person:
Elizabeth Sussekind - President
Rua México 31, Bloco D, Sala 1502
Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil, 20031-904
Telefax [+55] (21) 2544-3114