The Pan American Forum Advisory Group
The PAFNCD Advisory Group brings together a group of representatives of the different sectors of society, selected by PAHO, to share their knowledge and reach, in order to accompany the PAFNCD. Representation and balance of all sectors and of their respective comparative advantages and interests are fundamental for the Forum Advisory Group mission.
The Advisory Group will specifically support PAHO in the implementation of the following:
- Vision and objectives for the PAFNCD, as set by PAHO
- Forum architecture, defining, expanding and diversifying the membership of the PAFNCD and its governance
- Priorities for action set by PAHO for the PAFNCD
- The 2-year operational and financial plan approved by PAHO
- Resource mobilization initiatives (financial and in-kind)
- Development of in-country forums
- Communication strategy including brand/identity of the PAFNCD
- Promotion / encouraging relevant others to join
- Sustainability and up-scaling of the Forum/initiatives
Members of the AG are invited by PAHO at PAHO’s discretion, and can be changed as necessary to achieve the Forum’s goal. Current AG members include:
- Sir George Alleyne, Former Director, Pan American Sanitary Bureau (PASB)
- Janet Beauvais, Professor of Policy Practice at the McGill World Platform (MWP)
- Representative of the International Food and Beverage Alliance, IFBA.
- Beatriz Champagne, Executive Director, Inter-American Heart Foundation
- Kim Elmslie, Director General, Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control, Public Health Agency of Canada
- Antonio Brito, Secretary General, Federación Latinoamericana de la Industria Farmacéutica, FIFARMA.
- Jo Ivy Bouford, Deputy Director, Health Policy, New York Academy of Medicine
- Harold Hamana, Executive Vice-President Latin America, Edelman Group
- Trevor Hassell, President, Healthy Caribbean Coalition
- Rosemarie Henson, Senior Advisor to the Assistant Secretary, Health at the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Laurent Huber, Director, Framework Convention Alliance (FCA)
- Gabrielle Lamourelle, International Health Policy, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Eva Jané-Llopis, Head Health Programs, World Economic Forum.
- Caitlin Morris, Representative of World Federation of Sporting Goods
- Abby Pratt, Associate Vice President of Global Strategy and Analysis, AdvaMed
- Representative of the Health, Nutrition and Population Department of the Latin America and Caribbean Region, World Bank
- Representative of the Inter-American Development Bank
- James Hospedales, Executive Director, Caribbean Public Health Agency
- Carissa Etienne, Director, Pan American Health Organization
- Marcos Espinal Fuentes, Manager of Health Surveillance and Disease Prevention and Control, Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
- Irene Klinger, Manager, External Relations & Partnerships, Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs) like heart disease, cancer, diabetes and obesity are the #1 killer in the Americas region and threaten socio-economic development, but there are cost effective solutions, which require everyone to work together with a comprehensive approach, that calls for action and interventions in and out of the health sector.
The Pan American Forum for Action on NCDs (PAFNCD) is an exciting platform that recognizes all stakeholders have a role to play to combat the epidemic of NCDs in the Americas. PAFNCD brings together all actors with complementary roles & skills to dialogue and catalyze innovative ways to jointly implement the strategic priority initiatives of the Regional Strategy, together with the 38 PAHO Members States, civil society organizations, private sector companies and academia.
I look forward to working with you to forge new partnerships and fulfill the UN High Level Meeting’s mandates to address NCDs and to improve health and development in the Region.
We thank the early partners of the Forum from governments, civil society, academia and the private sector, and encourage others to join this call to action.
Manager-External Relations, Resource Mobilization and Partnerships
How to become a Member
To become a Member of the PAFNCD, you must first:
- Complete a Membership Application Form: it provides background information about you or your entity
- Sign the Commitment to Action: it is a commitment to the fight against NCDs and to refrain from actions that could be perceived as infringing on integrity, independence and impartiality, or that can pose or can be perceived as posing conflicts of interest;
- Agree to comply with the Rules of Engagement, as amended from time to time.
All prospective Members must first complete the Application Form and submit to email@example.com along with a signed Commitment to Action and Rules and Regulations. PAHO will review the application documents and respond with additional questions, as necessary, and then provide a written response to the application.