In the last 5 years, there has been increasing interest in energy due to such as efforts as the initiative of the Secretary General on “Sustainable Energy for All,” the Declaration by the UN General Assembly (GA) of 2012 as the “International Year of Sustainable Energy for All,” and the recently named 2014-2024 “Decade of Sustainable Energy for All.” Leaders in government, business, and civil society have built global awareness on the importance of energy for sustainable development. Finally, the 2012 Rio+20 Conference (UN Conference on Sustainable Development) also showed the world’s commitment to energy as an invaluable component to the sustainable development agenda.
Consultation – Objectives
The consultation aims to facilitate an open worldwide dialogue with all stakeholders on how energy should be integrated into a Post 2015 Global Development Framework. The specific aims are as follows:
- Contribute to a broad-based dialogue on the role of energy in the Post 2015 Development Framework that include all stakeholders, i.e. governments, businesses and civil society actors
- Mobilize a wide range of stakeholders to build a shared vision on a set of critical priority areas and global objectives on energy that should be integrated within the Post 2015 Development Agenda, building on past experiences and on-going processes and initiatives
- Ensure findings of the thematic consultation on energy are fed into Post 2015 Framework Development and other related processes towards 2015.
Consultation – Process
The purpose of the consultation is to stimulate discussions and facilitate global conversations on the post 2015 energy agenda. Questions will be provided to capture, summarize, present global voices in a way useful for Post 2015 discussions in the UN and elsewhere. The consultation includes:
- Global face-to-face consultations
- Virtual consultations
- Final Report with key recommendations – upon completion of online and face-to-face consultations
Consultation – Timeline
- 16 January – 3 February 2013 – Discussion 1: Why energy matters, what are the challenges/opportunities, and what can we do about it?
- 4-17 February 2013 – Discussion 2: How can we effectively integrate energy issues into Post 2015 Development Framework
Source: “The Future We Want – Background Paper for Global Energy Consultation” (Morgan Bazilian – National Renewable Energy Laboratory, UN Energy, SG’s Sustainable Energy for All Initiative) – WorldWeWant2015.org
- Energy Consultation Framing Paper
- Key Energy Resources
- Sustainable Energy for All – Global Action Agenda
- World Energy Outlook Summary 2012
- Global Energy Assessment Summary
- UN SG’s Advisory Group on Energy and Climate Change Summary Report
- Sustainable Energy for All – Vision Statement
- UN Thematic Think Pieces