|Mental Health and Risk Factors|
Welcome to the Mental Health and Risk Factors page!
1. Provides technical cooperation in mental health, alcohol, drug use, tobacco use and domestic violence at the regional and subregional levels, with the aim to strengthen countries´ capacity to develop policies and plans designed to improve and reorganize their health services.
2. Supports countries in the prevention of mental disorders and afflictions related to substance abuse, as well as in the promotion of a comprehensive state of well-being, in which individuals know their own abilities, cope with the normal stresses of life, work productively, and are able to make a positive contribution to their communities.
3. Promotes partnerships with other international institutions, with an aim to protect the mental health of the population, giving special attention to the most vulnerable populations, especially regarding their access to products that may damage their health, (such as alcohol, psychoactive drugs and tobacco).
4. Supports Member States in their efforts to eliminate violence against women and children in the region by improving evidenced based knowledge and the development and implementation of national plans to prevent violence.
5. Provides sound technical evidence and advocates at the political country level to counter the aggressive tactics adopted by the alcohol, tobacco and gun industries.
Regional Office for the Americas of the World Health Organization