|Liaison with Industry|
Members: Ricardo Uauy (leader), Simon Barquera, Tito Pizarro, Mary L'Abbé, Marcelo Tavella, Darwin Labarthe, Sonia Angell.
The Industry team is a working subgroup of the PAHO/WHO Regional Expert Group on Cardiovascular disease prevention through dietary salt reduction that serves as the primary source for evidence-based policies. The subgroup was established during the launch of the Initiative on 9-12 September 2009, at the PAHO HQ, Washington, D.C.
The following 6-, 10- and 24-months markers were set by the group to be accomplished over the 2 years:
At 6 Months:
At 10 Months:
At 24 Months:
- Develop a legislative or regulatory framework
- Provide information on salt substitutes and taste substitution and enhancement
- Formulate the position on the safety of salt as a food additive and the safety of high salt content foods
- Monitor for unintended consequences of lowering sodium in foods (e.g. raised levels of sugars)
Has the latest published material by the sub group:
· protocol for population level sodium determination on 24 hour urine collection,
· position on methods and statistical consideration
Has links to databases that include sodium/salt content of food products to assist countries to engage in negotiations with the respective food industries and facilitate (where possible) food product comparison. Read more…
Regional Office for the Americas of the World Health Organization